The national hydrometeorological service of the Republic of Kazakhstan was founded in January 1922.
By the decree of the government of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 185 dated March 2, 1999, Kazhydromet was granted the status of a Republican State Enterprise – Today it is a large research and production enterprise of the Ministry of ecology, Geology and natural resources of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
RSE "Kazhydromet" has 15 branches in each region of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the total staff number is more than 3 thousand people.
RSE "Kazhydromet" is the only legally responsible body that has the right to provide official information services to any organizations with storm warnings about impending dangerous and natural phenomena in the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The object of the Company's activity is to monitor the state of the environment, meteorological and hydrological monitoring using the state observation network.
The purpose of the Company is to obtain reliable hydrometeorological information, improve the quality of hydrometeorological and agrometeorological forecasts and information about the state of the environment, collect and summarize data obtained during systematic observations on the state observation network.
RSE "Kazhydromet" carries out the following activities:
1. environmental Monitoring:
- Monitoring the state of atmospheric air;
- Monitoring the state of atmospheric precipitation;
- Monitoring the quality of water resources;
- Monitoring of soil conditions;
- Weather monitoring;
- Radiation monitoring;
- Monitoring of transboundary pollution;
- Hydrological monitoring;
- Background monitoring.
2. conducting systematic observations on the state observation network in accordance with the main activities:
- Improvement of methods for forecasting hydrometeorological phenomena;
- Conducting research related to environmental monitoring, meteorological and hydrological monitoring;
- Providing state bodies and other interested persons with hydrometeorological information on a contractual basis, as well as information on the state of the environment, actual and expected changes in hydrometeorological conditions, the state of the climate and its changes, the state of environmental pollution and its causes for the main activities;
- Preparation and organization of work on the publication of scientific, technical and applied literature related to the main activities;
- Implementation of international cooperation in areas related to the main activities;
- Carrying out and (or) organizing work on repair, verification and calibration of devices in accordance with the scope of accreditation of laboratories of the Enterprise;
- Provision of data on background concentrations of environmental quality parameters and forecasts of adverse weather events to individuals and legal entities on a contractual basis;
- Maintaining the national Fund of data obtained as a result of monitoring the state of the environment, meteorological and hydrological monitoring.